The RequirementsThe ideal candidate will have experience in smaller companies and/or startup environments. If you are coming from a larger organization, you'll need to be willing to "roll up your sleeves" to handle the transactional aspects of this role. To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting.
- Broad hands-on experience with accounting.
- A demonstrated ability to perform financial analysis, including basic modeling.
- Supervisory experience.
- Strong business knowledge.
- Working familiarity with accounting systems/software and advanced skills in MS Excel.
- Experience developing and implementing process improvements.
- A demonstrated ability to achieve goals independently.
- A CPA.
- Experience with:
- Researching and/or implementing new accounting software.
- Commission plans or similar complex compensation plans.
- Working from home.
The RoleReporting to the COO/CFO, you will provide leadership to a part-time staff member who handles payroll, A/P and human resources (HR) activities. Depending on several factors, we may bring on board an additional part-time person to process billing and collections.
Decision Toolbox is a small, closely held company and this role involves both tactical and strategic activities. At the end of the day, you'll need to ensure that all things finance and accounting (and some HR processes) are taken care of, but here is a sampling of your tactical activities:
- Overseeing all daily accounting transactions.
- Handling cash management.
- Creating and calculating payouts for payroll processing; we have a variety of compensation structures and you'll need to distinguish among multiple parameters, such as service levels and unique terms in different contracts.
- Managing the general ledger and making most entries.
- Producing monthly financial statements.
- Assisting with budgeting and financial planning.
- Acting as liaison with a variety of external partners, such as our accounting firm, banks, insurance providers, legal representation, administrators of our 401(k) plan and other benefits, and others.
- Developing and implementing best practices and process improvements as we grow.
- Ensuring we have solid internal controls and documentation in place.
- Updating our employee handbook.
- And more.
Why DTMake a good thing even better -- we have established systems and processes in place. At the same time, we're growing strong and you'll take a forward-looking approach to ensure the accounting/finance function is solid and scalable. You'll work with a strong team: the staff member handling payroll has been with DT almost from the beginning in a variety of roles and will be a valuable resource to you.
Career options -- this role can prove rewarding whether you want to continue enjoying the part-time flexibility or you are interested in expanding your responsibilities down the road. There are many cases in Decision Toolbox of people coming on board in one area and growing upward and/or outward. In fact, the COO/CFO started as a part-time Accountant.
Work from home -- everyone at DT is virtual and everyone loves it. When our CEO meets with a client, she calls it a "mascara day." Otherwise it's come as you are. You'll also have a degree of latitude in your schedule, making it easier for you to get the kids to and from school and hockey practice, or take classes, or pursue other activities.
A culture like no other -- it may be "come as you are," but it's not all party. One of the reasons we are able to enjoy a positive, upbeat culture is that the team is made up of people who hold themselves to high standards. Rather than wasting time looking over people's shoulders, our leadership team invests it in wrapping resources, tools and support around us (we employees call it "feelin' the love").
Great ideas welcome -- we have almost 20 years of experience with innovation and we're wide open to your creative strategies. When a member of the DT team comes up with a new best practice, we're sure to share it with the group.
Keys to SuccessOne of your first objectives will be coming up to speed on our unique business model, including the diverse contracts and recruitment process outsourcing (RPO) relationships we have with various clients. Ultimately we want you to take ownership of this area -- a strong sense of ownership is an important characteristic of success in our organization. It is a wide-ranging characteristic, from providing each of us a sense of pride and satisfaction to the simple recognition that, "if I don't do it, it won't get done."
Working from home isn't for everyone. It requires a good deal of self-discipline, motivation and resourcefulness. To excel in this role you will be driven to find the answers you need on your own, but you also will know when to ask for help. While you'll have flexibility with your time, we'll look to you be flexible with your availability when working with internal and external contacts.
About DTFounded in 1992, the company provides scalable and easily integrated recruitment solutions for a 7% cost per hire on average while incorporating rigorous quality controls and a twelve-month candidate guarantee. Armed with the very latest tools and a team of seasoned US-based Recruiters and Sourcers, Decision Toolbox is an on-demand recruiting department for one critical search, for large projects, or a complete RPO solution.
For every project, DT deploys a Six Sigma inspired process that includes employment branding, aggressive candidate sourcing, comprehensive screening, on-boarding and the dedicated support of an experienced recruitment professional.
Decision Toolbox has taken a leadership role in almost every aspect of recruitment, introducing an RPO offering in 2000, four years before it became industry practice. DT is recognized as a "Thought Leader" by organizations such as SHRM, PIHRA, and the NHRA. For example, our CEO, Kim Shepherd, is a well-respected speaker and presenter, and recently published her insights on leadership success in The Bite Me School of Management: Taking a Bite out of Conventional Thinking. The title alone gives you an inkling of our culture!