The RequirementsTo meet the minimum qualifications for this role you will have experience as a professional writer. In addition, in order to be a good fit for the Freelance Writer opportunity, you will have:
- Writing samples demonstrating the ability to create lively, compelling copy that informs and engages in a conversational tone.
- A friendly, professional phone manner and experience working with/interviewing business professionals and executives.
- Strong keyboarding skills (you'll need to take detailed notes while conducting telephone interviews).
- Comfort discussing diverse positions in a wide variety of industries; experience writing about technology and/or healthcare is a plus.
- A home office environment that is relatively quiet, distraction-free, and has high-speed Internet access.
- A bachelor's degree is strongly preferred, but demonstrated talent is most important.
- Flexible availability during normal business hours.
Graphic: Based on customer satisfaction surveys, HRO Today magazine's Baker's Dozen list recognizes top providers of recruitment process outsourcing (RPO) services. Decision Toolbox has made this influential list eight times.
The RoleYou will support recruitment efforts for a wide variety of clients and position types, but the goal always will be to tell the unique story of each open position in a way that intrigues candidates who are a strong fit. There are two primary components to this challenging role.
The Discovery Call
You will lead these 45-minute brainstorming sessions, involving the client and the DT Recruitment Partner. During the call you will dig deep, probing for inside information and specific details about the job itself, the company culture and the profile of the ideal candidate. The DC is not a Q&A session, but a consultative conversation. The Recruitment Partner plays a pivotal role, but the overall objective of the DC is to understand what will attract candidates who are the best fit.
The Jobinfo Writeup
Using all the information you've collected, your goals in creating the Writeup will be to:
- Paint a clear picture of the role, providing job seekers with fresh insights that they can't get anywhere else.
- Highlight aspects of the role that will engage and attract the right candidates.
- Differentiate this opening from similar openings at other companies.
- Create a story this is low on fluff and high on protein.
You'll submit the completed Writeup to the client, via our system, within 48 hours of the DC. After that you will follow up with the client, making suggested edits and getting approval as quickly as possible. As long as you meet the deadline, you'll have a good deal of flexibility around your writing schedule.
Scheduling the Discovery Calls, however, is a little different. We try to book the calls at least two days in advance, but it's not unusual for a client to request a DC on shorter notice. We assign Writers according to a seniority-based rotation, and we'll respect your schedule requests. Just the same, the more you are available, the more work you will be able to take on.
Initially, you will focus on creating Jobinfo Writeups. In addition, we are developing a new written product. We can't reveal too much detail here, and things may change, but this product should be faster to develop, and you wouldn't need to be on the DC. In other words, if you focused exclusively on the new product, you could have almost complete flexibility in your schedule.
Pictured above: Any job posting can describe the surface. Your challenge will be to peel back the layers, on the Discovery Call, so that you can reveal the kind of insight candidates can sink their teeth into. Below: What DT employees are saying.
More Good ReasonsHelp write the industry standard
The Jobinfo Writeup has evolved over some 25 years and, as a product, remains unmatched in the recruitment world. Some of the reasons:
- It's a true marketing tool, communicating a unique value proposition to a targeted audience.
- It answers many questions up front, allowing candidates to make an informed opt-in or opt-out choice early in the process.
- Those who opt in are genuinely interested and primed to take the next steps.
- Thus the Writeup's insightful content helps lay the foundation for full talent lifecycle employee engagement.
Everyone at DT is virtual and everyone loves it. You'll have a good deal of flexibility in your schedule. If you want to write while enjoying a latte and a scone, head over to Starbucks. If you enjoy volunteering at your child's school, you can make that happen. If you have other clients and projects, you can balance it the way that works best for you.
The role is all about getting information, and you'll be exposed to all kinds of industries, and client companies from Fortune 500 leaders to entrepreneurial small businesses. As you work with some of the best Recruiters in the industry, you'll expand your knowledge of the recruitment space. In addition, you'll share ideas and insights with a seasoned and talented team in Creative Services that includes both full-timers and freelancers.
Trifecta of organizational culture
Throughout Decision Toolbox and our parent company, Engage2Excel, we drive employee engagement and company success through three simple but powerful steps:
- Living what we do. In short, we dig what we do. It's as much a calling as a company because we ignite the inner accomplishment that drives pride, inspires others and makes work fun.
- Rewarding those that earn it. This means you, your team -- everyone. We work hard, play hard and help the customer reap the success we all can enjoy.
- Seeking new ways to solve problems. Change is hard, but success is soooo sweet. We encourage everyone to lean in, invent and then reinvent. We value courage because we know the best ideas just might make your palms sweat.
Our clients don't just appreciate us, they love us. Our leadership team doesn't just provide resources, they wrap the love around the DT team (tools, technology, collaboration, etc.). The team doesn't just love working with DT, they wouldn't work anywhere else.
Vibrant business model
Decision Toolbox has been challenging the status quo in recruitment since 1992. Today we boast robust technology, a mature creative team and a compelling track record. Our focus is not on getting a lot of easy money out of our clients, but on building long-term, mutually beneficial partnerships. We've been delivering RPO since before it was an acronym, and we're recognized as a thought leader by human resources organizations such as SHRM, PIHRA, and the NHRA.
Keys to SuccessIt should be clear by now that this role is part journalism and part marketing. While each project will be similar in some ways, your success will depend on your ability to identify what is unique so you can bring a fresh approach. Over the years we have refined the Writeup's structure based on results, but we are also open to new ideas and creative approaches.
There is an art to conducting a Discovery call. The client should come away from a DC feeling that you and the Recruitment Partner added valuable insight into the talent market and recruitment process. Hiring managers have told us that the questions we asked helped them redefine the role in their own minds. That doesn't always happen, but the client should feel that his/her time was well spent. On one project you might talk with a CFO and on the next with a maintenance supervisor. You'll need to be able to communicate effectively with people at all levels.
Across Decision Toolbox you'll find a strong commitment to high professional standards. Everyone, whether full or part-time, has initiative and accountability. For example, we'll expect you to submit Writeups that are grammatically correct and free of typos. If the client makes changes, it should be to content, not to mistakes. Once a Writeup is approved, another member of Creative will proofread it before it goes public. But you should take pride in delivering high quality work on a consistent basis.
About DTSmarter recruitment solutions for smarter hires.
On the outside, Decision Toolbox is a recruitment products and services company known for the passion and creativity we bring to the table. But on the inside, we are a veritable R&D lab obsessed with innovating and optimizing recruitment productivity, quality and service. You will not find a group of people more zealous about this than our team.
Founded in 1992, the company is a 100% virtual organization with employees across the U.S. We are widely known for our unconventional, award-winning culture and our ability to attract and retain the best recruiting talent in the market. And because we have no walls or windows, we are able to pass those cost savings along to our clients.
Decision Toolbox has taken a leadership role in almost every aspect of recruitment, including introducing an RPO offering years before it became industry practice. On the technology side, our (in-house developed) recruiting productivity platform astonishes candidates, clients and our own users with the way it wraps around every step of every process to build in both quality and efficiency. We are recognized as a thought leader by organizations such as SHRM, PIHRA, and the NHRA. We're also certified by the Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) as a Women Owned Business.
Pictured: DT Chairwoman Kim Shepherd, a well-respected speaker on recruitment and leadership, published her insights on leadership success in The Bite Me School of Management: Taking a Bite out of Conventional Thinking. The title alone gives you an inkling of our culture!
About E2EThe industry's only ROI-based employee recognition program.
Engage2Excel helps companies measure, manage and improve performance with the industry's only ROI-based Employee Recognition solution. We create ROI-based Employee Recognition programs by combining Engagement Survey data with Performance Analytics. This enables clients to target, budget and prioritize recognition programs to drive bottom-line results. We also provide High-Performance Talent Acquisition Solutions that enable clients to infuse highly engaged employees into their corporate culture.
The Engage2Excel Process includes:
- DESIGN: We incorporate our clients' unique values and top priorities into a program that recognizes the behaviors that drive business outcomes.
- MEASURE: Employee engagement and performance data are used to pinpoint problems and opportunities in any department or workgroup.
- MANAGE: ROI-based employee recognition programs are easy for leaders to manage and tailor for their success.
- IMPROVE: Prescriptive analytics provide leaders with the insight they need to improve bottom-line results.